2012年12月14日金曜日

Heian Romance: 19. The Red Medicine Packet


19. The Red Medicine Packet

When the nightingale sings, it is then time to sleep. As Yuiko changes into her nightgown, a man rushes into her quarter harshly, and that person is the Minister of Left Fujiwara no Yorinaga.

“Minister of Left Yorinaga, how can you rush into the quarter without announcing yourself?”asked Ryoko.

“Where is your mistress? I want to see her now!!”

“What’s all the commotion, Minister of Left Yorinaga?” asked Yuiko.

“What had you done to my servant Kimiharu?”

“What about that?”

Yorinaga then takes out the red medicine packet which Yuiko gave yesterday to heal Kimiharu.

“It happens that there are trances of arsenic in this red packet, and YOU are the one who gave it to Kimiharu!”

“Are you accusing me for poisoning your servant?”

“Are you not?”

“Why would I do such things?”

“To take revenge, for Kimiharu had killed Satou Norikiyo!”

“So it was him then!! You instructed him to do so?”

“That’s really none of your business!!”

“What none of my business? He had killed Norikiyo, an important imperial guard and of course my best friend and my lover!!”

Yorinaga’s face becomes uneasy when Yuiko said the word ‘Lover’.

Yuiko then continues: “If you said the death of Norikiyo is none of my business, then I guess Kimiharu’s too as well the same. What I did was clear as water, white as snow; the medicine I bought was truly the actual herbs to heal him. I don’t have any right to stop you accusing me, so do it if you like! As for now, it’s been quite late already I would like to call it a day, so would you kindly LEAVE?”

Yorinaga tried to protest but was stopped by Yuiko’s lady-in waiting Ryoko.

***

Yorinaga was truly upsets with his servant Kimiharu’s death. The usual diligent minister of left was absented at the court office for seven days because of this. Within these seven days, he would only eat simple vegetarian meals and spent all of his time praying for his death servant’s soul.

Almost immediately after Yorinaga’s seven days leave at the court, he is going to be absent again, this time for a month. His wife Fujiwara no Sachiko had passed away at the age of forty. Record stated that she had passed away due to sickness, but the truth is she had committed suicide. A small red medicine packet containing traces of arsenic was found beside her dead bed…

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿