2012年12月13日木曜日

Heian Romance: 18. The Dead of a servant


18. The Dead of a servant

Yuiko reached Yorinaga’s quarter at the East 3rd Avenue that evening. Yorinaga was away with his office, so instead she was welcomed by his wife Fujiwara no Sachiko. Sachiko is a sulky looking woman who seems clueless about smile and happiness. She is eight years older than her husband Yorinaga, in addition with her upset appearance they made the most mismatch couple in the court. In real life, due to the large age gap between them, they could not get along well either.

  “Welcome Princess Yuiko, it is an honor to have you visits our household. However may I ask you the reason to come here?” asked Sachiko monotonously.

“I am here to heal your sick servant Kimiharu. Minister of Left Yorinaga told me so.”

“In that case please follow me.”

Sachiko then leads Yuiko to the servant quarter at the far end of the household.

Kimiharu was resting when they enter his room. His wound seems getting better after using Yuiko’s medicine which Yorinaga brought back the other day.

“Princess Yuiko…Kimiharu is just a poor servant; I won’t have the honor for the princess to heal me…”

“Foolish. Aren’t you forgotten that I also heal the poor at Oxen Street? Don’t worry I’ll heal you in no time.”

Yuiko took out a small red medicine packet and instructs Sachiko to prepare them for Kimiharu. After Sachiko leaves the room, Yuiko handed an arrow to Kimiharu…

“Do you know what this is?”

“It’s my arrow…”

“Indeed. But do you know where I found it?”

“Sorry I don’t…”

“I found it at the edge of a cliff at Mount Kiei. The same spot where Satou Norikiyo was last seen!!”

“……”

“Tell me what had you done to Norikiyo? Did you kill him? Or push him down the cliff?”

“I…I don’t understand what you are talking about, my lady.”

“Don’t try to act innocence!! Who instructed you to do so? Was it Yorinaga?”

“It is none of my master Yorinaga’s business. If you don’t mind, my lady, I would like to rest.”

“How DARE you to speak to me like this?!”

Their conversation was interrupted when Sachiko brings back the cooked medicine.

“Kimiharu, your medicine is done. Drink it before it gets cold.” said Sachiko.

After confirming Kimiharu had fully consumed his medicine, Yuiko leaves the household quietly…

***

When in the palace,

Yuiko received news that Yorinaga’s servant Kimiharu had passed away shortly after she left…

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿