2012年11月18日日曜日

Heian Romance: 9. The Definition of Beauty


9. The definition of beauty

It was a windy afternoon where Norikiyo came to Yuiko’s quarter to teach her archery. The lesson was held at a small yard in front of her quarter. Norikiyo would watch Yuiko practices and correct her posture when mistakes occur. She managed to hit the bulls-eye that afternoon no matter how far the distances given to her.  

“I made you proud am I?”

“Don’t get yourself too haughty my dear apprentice. This is only the beginning, and now let the fun begins!”

Norikiyo then took a piece of cloth and blind-folded Yuiko’s eyes.

“What are you doing?!”

“I want you to hit the bulls-eye again without looking at it.”

“What? How’s that possible?”

“Use the inner eye, heart of yours. You will eventually hit it when your mind reaches tranquil and peaceful state. ”

“How’s that related to archery?”

“That’s related to everything. From poetry, archery, horse-riding, music playing and even cooking, the inner state of mind is very important. Everything is beautiful if you pay full attention and a serene mind in doing it.

I always tend to get complains among the courtiers saying my poets not innovative and too much exaggeration. But still all of my life had been looking for things that are beautiful; when I found it I would write poems to commemorate this experience. These thoughts genuinely come from my mind, and so which makes them touching and beautiful.”

“You have a point… Nonetheless, the way you speak today makes me feel that I never knew you before. Satou no Norikiyo, truly you are a man of mystery…”  

“So my apprentice can you prove my theory correctly?”

“Yes master!”

“Close your eyes clear your mind. Focus mainly and directly onto the bulls-eye. Stay calm and now pull the bow strings backwards. Release it when you are full of confident!”

Yuiko releases the arrow and it hits directly to the bulls-eye.

“I did it!! I DID IT!!”

All of the excitements made Yuiko threw away her bow and hugged Norikiyo happily without thinking of the consequences.

  “Ugh! What a disgrace!!”

Yuiko and Norikiyo turned back and saw that Yorinaga was standing at the nearby corridor.  

Ever since he had been promoted to the post of Minister of Center, Yorinaga had entitled to gain excess to the royal secret achieve, hence to go there he would have to pass Yuiko’s quarter.

“Yorinaga?!”

“Shame of you Norikiyo, how can you hug the princess openly in the middle of the day? And you Princess Yuiko, you should learn elegant skills like music or poety instead of this rowdy lowly warrior’s hobby! This is absolutely intolerable!!”

“I….I….”

Yuiko was stunned and couldn’t think of any words to retort Yorinaga. The incident at the Oxen Street still vividly imprinted on her mind. Whenever she saw Yorinaga the scene that he kissed her would reprise again and again.

Yuiko get back to herself again after the leave of Yorinaga.

“Oh my, why couldn’t I think of any fowl words to return to that HIGHLY respectable Minister of Center? What happen to me? My mind seems not function properly.”

 “Perhaps you are in love, my dear apprentice. I find that your gazes were different when look at him…”

“In love with him?! Seriously NO!!”

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿